Fabled Arecibo Observatory to Be Shut Down After Twin Mishaps
Fabled Arecibo Observatory to Be Shut Down After Twin Mishaps
Famed Arecibo telescope, on the brink of collapse, will be dismantled
21 November, 2020, 19:43
The Arecibo Observatory will close down - and its enormous structure dismantled - after 57 years, following two mishaps that left it on the brink of collapse.
Cable anchoring structure for the Northern support tower, Arecibo radio telescope. An auxiliary cable broke in August and tore a 100-foot hole in the reflector dish and damaged the dome above it.
The damage on the Arecibo Observatory. "The telescope is in no way obsolete", Christopher Salter, an astronomer at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in West Virginia, who worked at Arecibo for years, told Nature.
Officials suspect a potential manufacturing error is to blame for the auxiliary cable that snapped after a socket holding it failed, but say they are surprised that a main cable broke about three months later given that it was supporting only about 60% of its capacity.
An update was provided on october 12 with no culprit of what caused the auxiliary cable to fail - UCF outlined what had been done to date to fix the cable which included a complete safety assessment, shipping the socket involved in the failure to NASA Kennedy Space Center for further evaluation, and completing a review for a possible fix plan. The possibility of an additional cable snapping could mean the platform might not hold and could collapse into the telescope's dish.
Inspections of other cables revealed breaks and slippages as well. Scientists across the globe even used the radio telescope to search for extraterrestrial life on many occasions. For this reason, the authorities have chose to demolish the structure as it can put the lives of workers at risk.
The support cables fell and ripped large gashes in the telescope's reflector dish
In a statement, Sean Jones, assistant director of the Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate at NSF said, "NSF has concluded that this recent damage to the 305-metre telescope can not be addressed without risking the lives and safety of work crews and staff. NSF has chose to begin the process of planning for a controlled decommissioning of the 305-meter telescope".
"The telescope is at serious risk of an unexpected, uncontrolled collapse", said Ralph Gaume, director of NSF's Division of Astronomical Sciences. "Even attempts at stabilization or testing the cables could result in accelerating the catastrophic failure".
The topic was also trending on Twitter with many people from the scientific community remembering their Association with the iconic telescope. Thornton Tomasetti's model suggested there was no course of action that could safely verify the structure's stability and advised against allowing personnel on the telescope's platforms or towers.
The Arecibo message as sent 1974 from the Arecibo Observatory.
UCF hired two other engineering companies to provide independent assessments of the telescope.
The company of the current American leader received a similar subpoena from the Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. There has been a long battle over getting subpoenas for Trump's returns; this is a victory for NY .
Front-line medical workers and elderly residents of nursing homes would probably be among the first to be inoculated. When will it be available? An emergency authorization expedites the usual approval process through the FDA.
On the contrary, this is the time where many improvements are being made which will then be distributed via a Day 0 patch. So he recently gave some insight into the differences between doing Cyberpunk 2077 and The Matrix on social media .
The Canadian pop pair have shared " Monster ", which you can hear below. "He completely inspired me to start singing". This is the human experience, "Mendes said". "This guy thinks he can beat me in hockey", quipped Bieber .
Premier Steven Marshall said 19,000 coronavirus tests had been conducted on Friday - up from the usual 2000 or 3000. The Parafield cluster now spans 26 cases and more than 5400 contacts are in isolation.
Production was paused Thursday and Friday, and the show was heading into a preplanned week off for the Thanksgiving holiday. There are said to be precautions and safeguards on set including medical exams to every contestant before they compete.
Apple Authorized Service Providers were notified that the iPhone-maker is looking into the problem, according to MacRumors . This guidance suggests that Apple may be confident that it can fix the issue in a future software update.
Because of this specification, the developers will need some more time before they can release Fortnite on iOS. Nvidia is currently working with Epic Games to develop a touch-friendly version of the game for GeForce Now .
Morris, 31, gives the Clippers versatility with his ability to play center and defend big and small front-court players. One person who is very unhappy about Harrell joining the Lakers is his former Clippers teammate Patrick Beverley .
In other words, the 9th and 10th seeds will have to win two consecutive games on the road to sneak in past them. The All-Star break will take place in March and there is no word yet whether there will be an All-Star Game.
Europe Has Half of World's 4M New Virus Cases But Sees Hope
Meanwhile, some people in Germany were growing increasingly restive about the prospect of increased lockdown measures. Over the last week, the daily average of hospital admissions dropped 24 per cent and new infections fell 39 per cent.
NCB searches comedian Bharti Singh's house, recovers cannabis
The Narcotics Control Bureau ( NCB ) raided the house of Bharti Singh and her husband Harsh Limbachiyaa, official sources said. Bharti got married to Haarsh on December 3, 2017, and the couple is now hosting TV dance reality India's Best Dancer.
Brazil beat Uruguay as Cavani sent off
The top four teams will qualify automatically but the fifth-placed team will enter an inter-regional play-off. However, the sensation team of the hour is Ecuador , which outclassed Colombia 6-1 (4-1) on matchday four.
Rockstar Teasing New Grand Theft Auto Online Content
News of the online expansion comes after Rockstar announced that GTAV's re-release in 2021 would be " expanded and enhanced ". The update will introduce new ways to approach Heists, playing the whole thing solo or with up to three crewmates.