Floridians voted Tuesday evening to restore the right to vote to some 1.4 million ex-felons in the state. "We are just ready to go forth and see greater things take place in the state of Florida".
Iowa, Kentucky and Virginia joined Florida in felony disenfranchisement, which dates back to the Reconstruction Era when many politicians sought ways to prevent African Americans from voting after the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870. However, the state constitution will now be amended to automatically restore the voting rights of those people - excluding those convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense. The governor then needed to personally approve their petition to have their rights restored. It faced little organized opposition.
Get unlimited digital access to our website for only $0.99 for the first month. The gubernatorial and Senate contests are still too close to call.
Florida was among a minority of states that required additional waiting time or extra steps for felons to regain their voting rights. Most were drafted by state legislatures, but 64 resulted from citizen-initiated campaigns, including numerous most eye-catching proposals.
Both Democratic opponents, incumbent Democratic Sen. With Democrats Andrew Gillum and Bill Nelson locked in toss-up races for governor and USA senator respectively, the passage of Amendment 4 is notable as an outlier that could boost the Democratic Party's chances in 2020 and beyond.
Essentially, based on research at Ballotpedia.org, which cites both supporters and opposition of the amendment, Florida Amendment 3 is created to take the legislation of gambling out of hands of legislators and put it into the hands of the citizens.
Florida is one of four states that doesn't automatically restore voting rights.
Under the current process, felons must appeal to the state clemency board for a hearing. According to a 2016 report from the Sentencing Project, the state of Florida is responsible for 27 percent of the nation's disenfranchised population, and 48 percent of the nation's disenfranchised convicted ex-felon population.
Most of the details remain under wraps and it's unclear whether original stars Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul will return. Variety reports the two-hour film, now called Greenbriar , will begin filming this month .
That's also what the statistics say, as the Seahawks rank 18th in the National Football League with 21 sacks this season. Seattle played the second half without starting strong safety Bradley McDougald due to a knee injury. "It was tough.
Xherdan Shaqiri will miss the clash as Klopp anticipates he is likely to receive a bad reception due to political reasons. Liverpool try to turn home the rebound but it won't quite drop for them and Red Star hack it to safety.
The Date Day: How To Behave When you meet your date offline for the first time, there are many things that can go wrong. That is a very responsible step that will either empower or destroy the already formed relationships.
The Rise of Mobile Payments Over the last few years, all of the major mobile innovators have stepped into the mobile payment game. As of 2016, Apple Pay had 12 million monthly users , a figure which is sure to rise substantially in the coming months and years.
After a attractive bridal shower, which was hosted by Priyanka's closest buddies in NY , it's time for the bachelorette party. Earlier this week, pictures of Priyanka' fun-filled bachelorette, went insane viral.
During his prime-time Fox show, Hannity played the role of cheerleader from the side as the crowd waited for Trump's appearance. It was an extraordinary scene after the news network had worked Monday to establish distance between Hannity and the campaign .
Yes, we live in the world of modern technologies where a teenager knows more about technologies than people in mid 30s. When writing about yourself, keep in mind that people might think of different things and have different associations.
She could be joined by 36-year-old Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, a Muslim woman who is expected to also win her race on Tuesday night. Like Omar, Tlaib championed progressive policies, including a Medicare for All, a $15 minimum wage and immigration reform.
Pelosi has vowed to pass campaign finance reform regulations and launch investigations into the Trump administration immediately. By election day, FiveThirtyEight gave Clinton a 71% chance of winning the election, leaving Trump with a 29% chance of winning.
Lime is offering free bikes, e-bikes and e-scooters to use to and from polling locations, up to 30 minutes. Easy Luck Coffee & Bodega : Fuel your day with a coffee - which will be free with your "I Voted" sticker.
Jury Selection to Begin in Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman Trial
El Chapo pleaded not guilty to all the crimes against him - global drug trafficking, gun charges, money laundering, and more . The 12 jurors, with six alternates, will remain anonymous and will be escorted by USA marshals to and from court every day.
Keuchel wins Gold Glove Award
The winners for both the National and American League Gold Gloves were announced on Sunday night. Kinsler got his second Gold Glove at second base , and Bradley won for the first time in center.
It's election day in Kentucky and Indiana
We don't know what the votes are, but we do have some insight into the turnout. "I am dropping by to vote", Holloway said . More than 4.8 million Texans - almost 40 percent of registered voters in the state's largest 30 counties - voted early.
General Overview of Cisco CCNA R&S Questions and Answers
In addition to this, they will also build their skills and knowledge levels required to implement WLAN in a small/medium network. At the end of the course, they will also be able to resolve regular issues with EIGRP, STP, and OSPF in IPv4 and IPv6 networks.
Gustav Klimt Could Challenge For 2,000 Guineas
However, Gustav Klimt bounced back with a fine performance at the Barronstown Stud Irish European Breeders Fund in June last year. Gustav Klimt moved to the inside down the final furlong and found just enough speed to beat out his compatriot Nebo by a head .
Seeyouatmidnight to serve the Scots a Grand National double
He was runner-up behind Big River in the Edinburgh Gin Handicap Hurdle at Kelso and he then placed third at Newbury in March. Those having a bet on the Grand National will find him available at 16/1 with Paddy Power in the ante-post list.
The 10 best football players in the world
But even so, there’s no denying that he has impressive skills and he managed to lead all his football teams to big titles. Now at PSG, there are a lot of rumors that he might come back in Spain to play for life-time rivals of Barcelona, Real Madrid.